OPP conducting focused patrols to address safety concerns.
Trent Hills – Fri., June 2, 2023 – The Northumberland Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) are urging motorists to heed the pedestrian crosswalks in the Village of Hastings in Trent Hills.
The Northumberland OPP have been made aware of several complaints where motorists are alleged to have driven through the crosswalks while pedestrians are attempting to cross, with the crosswalk lights activated.
The crosswalks were installed to enhance safety for both pedestrians and motorists in the area and are located at Bay Street and Bridge Street, as well as at Water Street and Bridge Street in the Village of Hastings.
Rules for drivers at crosswalks:
- Motorists, as well as cyclists must stop and yield the entire width of the roadway and wait for pedestrians to clean to the road.
- Only when pedestrians and school crossing guards have crossed and are safely on the sidewalk, can drivers and cyclists proceed.
Tips for drivers regarding pedestrian safety:
- Pay special attention to pedestrians especially when turning.
- Watch for children. Drive slowly and cautiously through school zones, residential areas, or any other area where children could be walking or playing.
- Watch for Community Safety Zone signs that indicate areas of special concern to the public.
- Be patient especially with seniors or pedestrians with disabilities who need more time to cross the road.
Video #1 (Education) Twitter video – Pedestrian Crossing
Video #1 (Education) Facebook – Pedestrian crossing
Video #2 (Focused Patrols) Twitter – Video #2
Video #2 (Focused Patrols) Facebook – Video #2
For more detailed information on pedestrian crosswalks please visit:www.ontario.ca/page/driving-near-pedestrian-crossovers-and-school-crossings